Feb 1, 2010

Recipe Review - Crockpot Potato Soup

Two weeks ago, I tried a new recipe for the CrockPot. I had a craving for something warm as it had been raining for 2,387 days straight and Crockpot Potato Soup seemed like the perfect thing to fight the chilly weather.

I found the orginal recipe on a blog I follow named Saving and Giving.

Let me say that I could not stop eating this soup! I absolutely loved it and want to make it again real soon...like tomorrow! My family didn't rave about it as much as I did, mostly because my son thought it would be potato 'n cheese soup....no cheese in this soup. My husband is always concerned about calories, so he was trying to figure out just what was in it before giving an opinion. And maybe they figured I was raving enough for everyone as I did comment on how much I liked it once. Or twice. Or maybe a few more times than that.

So here's how I made it (I usually change a recipe a bit for some reason)

Crock Pot Potato Soup

6 cups water
1 cups diced ham
5 cups potatoes - diced - We leave the skins on.
8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
A handful of minced onion - I didn't measure it.
1 tsp. garlic
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. dill**
2 tsp. chicken bouillon**

**here's my biggest change. I used 1/2 tablespoon of dill and 2 tablespoons of chicken bouillon. Not because I like dill so much but because I wasn't paying attention and grabbed the wrong measuring spoon....oops!

I cooked it all day and when dinner time was approaching; after looking in the crockpot, I was frantically thinking of an alternative for dinner as it didn't look like it was going to turn out. The cream cheese was clumped up at the top of the 'soup' and it looked downright watery.

So I pulled out a box of instant mashed potatoes and started adding a few spoonfuls at a time. This thickened up the soup nicely and soon we had the most wonderful soup in the world!

So try it....you'll not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment