Oct 13, 2010

Salsa Chicken and Rice Recipe & Review

I tried a new recipe out last week and the whole family enjoyed it!

Our new recipe of the week was Salsa Chicken and Rice. I found the recipe at a blog called A Little Bit of Everything.

Here is the recipe (as I made it) and I will follow it with a review.

Salsa Chicken and Rice

1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice - cooked
2 cups Chicken, cooked and shredded
2 cups shredded Montery Jack Cheese
2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1 1/2 cups Medium Salsa

Cook rice and chicken if not already done. Shred or cube chicken.

(I usually have cooked chicken in my freezer for meals like this. I made rice for another meal a few days before and just made enough for two meals and froze what I needed for this casserole.)

In a greased casserole dish, layer the rice and then the chicken.

Combine the soup and salsa in a bowl and spread on top of the chicken. Top with cheeses.

Bake at 350 degrees until hot through and bubbly.

* * * * *


Next time I make this I will try using Rotel in place of the salsa. The original recipe calls for either and I am curious to see if it will taste the same with Rotel.

There were a few bits of the rice that were overly crispy and I think a thin layer of salsa or Rotel underneath the rice might be a solution to that.

I plan to include this recipe in my future freezer plans and make up Salsa Chicken & Rice meal kits with the rice in one bag, the chicken, soup, and salsa in another, and the cheese in a third.

Overall, the recipe was enjoyed by everyone. It was easy to assemble, which is another plus. I'm thrilled to have found another item for my freezer sessions!

No comments:

Post a Comment