Aug 23, 2010

Last week's menu - In Review and Mexican Penne Recipe

I plan to start reviewing our weekly menus so I can refer back later and recall what worked and what didn't.

To refresh our memories, here's what we ate last week:

Monday – Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
Tuesday – Spaghetti, Salad, Garlic Bread
Wednesday – Rotisserie Chicken, Corn on the Cob, Ranch Beans
Thursday - Chicken w/Salsa, Broccoli, Pasta Roni
Friday – Mexican Penne, Salad, Rolls
Saturday – Big Salad w/chicken, cucumbers, tomato, etc.
Sunday – Eat Out or Leftovers

The first half of the week went as planned. But I returned to work this week. And I was tired this week. :) Really tired. Having meals ready to go was a lifesaver!

Thursday was our youngest's birthday, so we took him out to Olive Garden to eat instead of eating at home. So that chicken stayed in the freezer for another day.

And Friday, I forgot to take the Penne from the freezer. Without knowing this, hubby went to the store and bought a roast and cooked it in the crockpot. So that worked out perfectly!

And Saturday, some friends invited us out to dinner. We couldn't refuse, could we?

I need to admit something here...when I plan a day like Sunday - eating leftovers - I should know better. With two grown sons in the house, there are rarely leftovers around by Sunday. Unless I make something they don't like.

I'm happy with the week and since I've already featured the Rotisserie Chicken Recipe here I will leave you with the recipe for Mexican Penne which I originally found at Food.com. My boys love this for dinner! I love it because it is easy and freezes well!

Mexican Penne

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. box Penne pasta, cooked as directed
2 16oz. jars salsa (I prefer a chunky salsa)
1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups Mexican cheese (or whatever you have on hand)

1. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.

2. Cook the ground beef, drain.

3. In large bowl, combine the beef, salsa, and black beans. Mix well.

4. Add the pasta and half the cheese and mix.

5. Place in baking dish and top with remaining cheese.

6. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Freezer directions:

Slightly undercook the pasta so it is still a little bit firm. Follow the above directions thru #4, without adding the cheese. Place in freezable dish or ziplock bag and freeze.

When ready to eat, thaw. Place half of the mixture in a baking dish, top with 1/2 cheese and repeat.

Bake as directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment