Aug 26, 2010

Recipe Binder

I'm curious. How do you keep track of your recipes?

I've kept my recipes in a document folder on my computer for a long time, but I found that I was printing them out each time I wanted to use a particular recipe so I wouldn't have to take my laptop into the kitchen. See, I'm a messy cook. And I don't want to ruin my laptop. But printing out the recipes each time I used one got to be a pain and a waste of paper.

So, last year I started a recipe binder. I purchased a small binder (5 1/2 x 8 1/2) and a small 3-hole punch and began filling it up. I did good for a while, but like most things, it began to get messy as I got lazy.

Here's the mess I have created:

This morning I was reading some of the blogs I like to follow and I came across this post at Clean Mama. It was the inspiration I needed to tackle my recipe binder and get it organized before school begins. Wow, I can’t believe how dirty this binder was. This picture looks better than it really was:

First things first, I want my binder to be pretty. After making the binder front for my son (that he surely won’t use), I decided my recipe binder needed a pretty look. So I fooled around a bit and came up with this:

Much better, don’t you think? So now I need to get it organized. I know I have dividers somewhere around here. I just need to figure out what categories I want to divide the recipes into. Should I go with Chicken, Beef, Etc. Or by cooking methods like Freezer, Crockpot, Grilling? Or perhaps a mix of both along with a Favorites tab?

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm visiting from New Friend Fridays at The Trendy Treehouse! This is EXACTLY what I do with my recipes and it has been awesome! I think I will probably be adding more plastic sleeves to my binder soon though as I've been findng lots of good recipes lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my to do list too. I'm going to do tabs like chicken and beef, but add a crockpot section because i want to use my slowcooker. so i want all my slowcooker recipes together in one spot. if you do freezer cooking often, having a freezer section would be ideal for you to have them all together.

    ReplyDelete