Jan 5, 2010

Review of Paula Deen's Layered Meatball Casserole

Last night I made Paula Deen's Layered Meatball Casserole. Before I give my opinions, here are the changes I made to the recipe:

-I used frozen meatballs. The recipe calls for 16 ounces, but I used two 12 oz packages of Mama Lucia's frozen meatballs (on sale this week for 10/$10).
-I used fresh mushrooms as I apparently didn't read the recipe thoroughly before shopping and didn't have canned.
-I chopped up one large tomato - it seemed enough so I didn't use the second.
-I didn't have fresh leaf basil, so I just sprinkled on some dried basil. I have no idea how much.

So...I'm not sure if I will ever make this again. It was good, but seemed to be a bit more prep than I anticipated. The recipe states 15 min. prep. It took longer than that!

The meatballs weren't so good, but that is not the fault of the recipe. I think it I had used homemade meatballs, this would have been really much better.

This makes a lot!!! It was almost overflowing in the baking dish I used. Only three of us were home to eat and I had half left over after we were finished eating.

I froze some in lunch sized portions and will be interested in seeing how it is after thawing. This would make great work lunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment