Apr 23, 2010

Ultimate Beef Stroganoff

I originally found this recipe at My Kitchen Cafe. The original poster changed blog locations and hasn't yet added this recipe to her new site so I will post the recipe here.

Ultimate Beef Stroganoff

2-3 pounds stew meat
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 onion, sliced
¼ tsp. garlic salt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ cups beef broth or stock (made up from cubes or granules)
1 tablespoon ketchup

Put first four ingredients in crockpot.

Mix next four ingredients in small bowl. Pour over meat.

Cook in crockpot on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.

When cooked make a simple roux by whisking 1/3 cup flour with enough apple juice (about 5-6 tablespoons) to make a thick but still pourable flour mixture. Whisk the roux into the crockpot and add 4 ounces sliced mushrooms.

Cook on high for 15-30 minutes. Then stir in ½ cup sour cream. Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes (pasta is my favorite option!).

*Freezable Meal: The leftovers of the stroganoff can be frozen. I store the leftovers in a freezer-safe container and then thaw in the refrigerator (usually takes about a day) and reheat over medium-low heat in a saucepan on the stove.

Here's how I prepped it for the freezer:

First cube beef, then combine first four ingredients in a ziploc bag. In a second quart or sandwich size bag, combine next four ingredients. Put both bags in a large freezer bag and freeze.

When you want to cook, put beef mixture in crockpot and pour sauce over it - cook on low all day. Continue with roux once done.

Note: I've made this three times, each with variations.

The first time I didn't have apple juice, so I substituted broth. It turned out really good.

The second time, I made it exactly like the recipe. I didn't care for it as much as it was a bit sweet from the apple juice. Family didn't notice.

The third time, I simply mixed in a can of cream of mushroom soup into the crockpot and served it over noodles. Worked like a charm with no effort at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment